The Ruffenhofen fort lies along the so-called "Strecke 13" of the Upper German-Raetian Limes. This categorization dates back to research conducted by the Reichslimeskommission, which began an examination of the entire stretch of the Limes in 1892. As a part of this undertaking, smaller excavations were also conducted at the site of the fort in Ruffenhofen.
The first comprehensive study of the Limes that followed the Reichslimeskommission's work began in the year 2000, when the terrain was surveyed and documented. Since the summer of 2003, the Deutsche Limeskommission has assumed responsibility for the organization of the World Heritage monument, including its preservation, scientific research, and the development of a programme to provide tourist access to the monument.
Ruffenhofen Roman Park is a part of the Limes project. Here, research is conducted on the archaeological monument through geophysical prospection and a sustainable visualisation of the archaeological structures has been created.
On July 15, 2005 the Limes was inscribed in UNESCO's list of World Heritage properties. In 2012, the LIMESEUM opened as the first new Limes museum built in Bavaria since the Upper German-Raetian Limes was recognized as a World Heritage site.